On behalf of Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center Leadership we are extremely excited to announce the launch of the SKCC’s first Center of Excellence (CoE) in Cancer Risk, Prevention and Control, which will be led by Dr. Veda Giri from Jefferson and Dr. Ann Klassen from Drexel University.
This consortium based center will allow us to fully embed population health studies across our institutions and reach our goals of:
- Fostering population science integration into basic and clinical programs of SKCC (Programmatic Integration).
- Identifying Focus Areas (“Themes of Promise”) for Research and Training, and develop capacity for external funding in these areas, leveraging expertise across clinical, basic, and population sciences (Scientific Integration).
- Providing education and internship opportunities to students and trainees in cancer risk, prevention, and control (Training Goal).
- Implementing cancer education and awareness programs in the community to translate knowledge and research for community benefit (Service Goal).
- Addressing cancer-related needs of the SKCC catchment area (Service Goal).
Dr. Klassen and Dr. Giri will be reaching out to individuals over the next couple of weeks to discuss membership. If you have an interest in becoming a member, please email them at the addresses below.
With our Cancer Center Core Grant renewal 302 days away this center of excellence allows us to take steps in the right direction to ensure population science is integrated within the Cancer Center.
If you have any questions regarding this new center Drs. Giri and Klassen are available at the email addresses below: